This blog article is a complete guide to obtaining a Mauritius visa for Indians. It discusses the different types of visas for Indians, the eligibility criteria, the documents needed to apply, and the process of getting the visa.
Mauritius is a small island in the Indian Ocean, approximately one and a half times bigger than Delhi. It is also one of the most popular tourist destinations amongst Indian travelers. Mauritius Visa for Indians is obtained upon arrival in Mauritius and is a single-entry visa. Indians cannot obtain the visa before their trip commences. However, they should arrange for the necessary documents required. Indians can then arrive at the Mauritius Airport and pick up their visa document from the immigration desk.
Types of Visa for Indians in Mauritius
Indian citizens can apply for different types of Mauritian visas. Each visa has a different purpose, hence it is important to be aware before applying for a specific visa.
Ideal for Indian citizens who wish to visit Mauritius for tourism, sightseeing or visiting relatives and friends. A maximum of 6 months is usually granted; however, in some cases, the immigration allows only a few weeks in the country. In this case, the visa can be renewed. It is important to keep in mind that a Tourist Visa is not to be used for business purposes.
This is for Indian passport holders who want to visit Mauritius for business purposes such as attending meetings, conferences, and participation in exhibitions, seminars or any other commercial activities. A maximum of 120 days in a calendar year is granted, with a limit of 90 days in a single visit. Indian citizens who are looking to apply for a Residence Permit or Occupation Permit in Mauritius are advised to come to the island on a Business Visa.
A Medical visa is granted to Indians coming to Mauritius for medical treatment to be provided in private health care institutions which are duly registered with the Ministry of Health and Quality of Life under the Private Health Institutions Act. This visa is given upon arrival, for the duration of the treatment with a maximum of 6 months.
A Student Visa allows eligible Indian citizens to enter and stay in Mauritius to study full-time or part-time in a tertiary educational institution registered with the Tertiary Education Commission, or in a Technical and Vocational Educational and Training (TVET) institution registered with the Mauritius Qualifications Authority, or to follow a practical training course which forms part of higher studies.
The Social Visa is granted to Indian citizens who are part of socio-cultural organisations for a maximum period of 45 days, to carry out social and religious activities.
The Mauritius Visa Requirements for Indians to be eligible are:
- Indian Passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of travel
- Proof of accommodation in Mauritius (hotel bookings)
- Confirmed return tickets within the 60 days for which the visa is valid
- Proof of funds for the duration of stay (bank statement)
To ensure a hassle-free process to obtain a visa on arrival at the Mauritius airport, you should keep certain documents ready. Below is a list of all the relevant documents:
- Filled-in visa forms with all necessary details and information
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- A passport that is valid for at least 6 more months from the date of travel
- If you are travelling to another destination from Mauritius, you must show a valid visa for that nation. Otherwise, you will need to showcase confirmed return flight tickets.
- All accommodation details, which should include room booking receipts and other details
- In case a Mauritian citizen is sponsoring your stay in the country, you would need to show a letter from the sponsor indicating the same. The citizen’s address and the relationship must also be mentioned in this sponsorship letter.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the various expenses for the duration of the stay
- Bank statement
Cost of Mauritius visa for Indians
The Mauritius Visa for Indians is free of cost and the processing time anywhere between a few minutes to an hour.
How to apply for Mauritius visa for Indians?
The visa application process is not complicated. In fact, there is no pre-registration process to follow. You just need to take all necessary documents, present them at the airport immigration department and obtain the visa on arrival.
What TBI Business Advisors can do for you:
- We will have a Zoom/ Teams call or email exchange to understand your requirements.
- We can assist with the finding and purchasing of property, and setting up of an entity to purchase through.
- TBI will advise on the appropriate permit or visa for coming to Mauritius.
- We will send a detailed proposal with clear costs, timeframes and explanations.
- We will assemble the documents and make the application on your behalf.
- If you need assistance with setting up companies whether as an investor or just creating a business here.
- We can assist with relocation tasks such as helping with schools, accommodation, insurance, choosing locations.
- The directors can act as Commissioner for Oaths.
- We can assist with other business advice and can bring in law firms as and when required.
While every effort is made to ensure that the information given is accurate, the information on this site does not contain legal, tax or any other professional advice. We accept no responsibility or liability due to any information or representation, whether accurate or not, relied upon in the contents. It is an information guide to provide the reader with a useful general, but basic understanding of the different considerations. You must seek local legal, tax or other professional advice before relying on the contents of this site.