Setting up a company in Mauritius includes navigating the requirements for company registration in Mauritius, understanding the various types of Mauritius offshore companies and ensuring compliance with all legal regulations.
Mauritius is emerging as one of the most progressive economies in the region. Setting up a company in Mauritius has become an attractive choice for businesses worldwide, thanks to its stable economy and business-friendly laws. TBI Mauritius can assist you in setting up a company in Mauritius and guide you all along the way from Mauritius company formation in Mauritius, to explaining the different types of offshore companies in Mauritius, to buying and setting up your workspace and hiring talented professionals and meeting the legalities with robustness and accuracy.
Company Registration in Mauritius and Mauritian Business Licences
There are a significant number of licences available in Mauritius. We go through them in more detail on our blog. Rather than list them all, we mention a few popular ones. These licences, if relevant would be in addition to the Global Business Licence (GBL) which the company will hold. There is a Payment Service Provider Licences, although in Mauritius it is called the Payment Intermediary Service Licence (PIS).
Other popular licences are the Investment Dealer Licence, with or without underwriting. Two licences that are often applied for together are the Investment Advisor Licence and the Insurance Broker Licence. There are CIS Licences with all fund types available. There is a strong focus on funds investing in Africa at the moment. The main licence geared towards FinTech is the Regulatory Sandbox Licence (RSL). There are large tax incentives to be undertaking innovative FinTech business in Mauritius.
What is the role of management companies in Mauritius?
Whichever way you choose to register a company in Mauritius, you will likely require a management company in Mauritius. The role of offshore management companies in Mauritius is for setting up a company in Mauritius, to provide a company secretary, a registered office, directors and various complains elements for your companies in Mauritius. One is needed for most licences and only for a domestic company can this be done by other parties.
We are not a management company but work with the clients to make sure the right management company in Mauritius is selected for the type of licence and structure that is required. There is a list of management companies in Mauritius on the FSC website, but there is no other useful information allowing you to make an informed choice as to which management company in Mauritius is the most appropriate or reliable.
Advantages of setting up a company in Mauritius
Choosing this island as a destination to register a company in Mauritius or opening a Mauritius offshore company is beneficial for the following reasons:
- Ranked 1st in Africa for almost all rankings and indices including, World Bank Doing Business, Global Competitiveness Index, and the Mo Ibrahim Index of African Governance
- Business-friendly legislation
- A well-governed country with an independent judiciary
- Multi-lingual workforce
- Low corporate tax rates
- No exchange Controls
- No tax on dividends
- Economic stability and prosperity
- Business-friendly trade agreement laws such as Double Taxation Agreements and Investment Promotion and Protection Agreements enabling easy access to investment in Africa
- Good business ethics
- High Competition and growth opportunities
- Strong infrastructure
- Flourishing Real Estate
How do I set up a company in Mauritius?
We can provide all the assistance you need in setting up your company in Mauritius in accordance with the Business Registration Act so that you can focus on your prime goals and let us handle the rest. The primary focus will be to understand exactly what is needed, including the type of company and the type of licence as well as all the legalities. We work with management companies in Mauritius and law firms to ensure that the necessary expertise is in place for your business, and its setup. Setting up a company in Mauritius is not difficult but one needs to know where to look and who to trust.
How do I register a company in Mauritius?
For domestic companies, one needs to work with the Registrar of Companies to register a company in Mauritius. For a Global Business Company or any company that provides financial services, one has to deal with by the Financial Services Commission to register a company in Mauritius. Our team of highly skilled lawyers and business experts will help you prepare a road map for your business and ensure that all the legalities and standard procedures involved are well-handled with the assistance of high-quality lawyers and law firms that we work with. It is not difficult to register a company in Mauritius but one needs to know where to look and who to trust.
What are the requirements to open a company in Mauritius?
- If you want to apply for a global business license, or another financial licence in Mauritius, you will need to satisfy the Financial Services Commission FSC that you have the necessary expertise to undertake such operations. We work with all of the most reliable management companies in Mauritius, enabling you to have maximum chance of succeeding with your applications.
- Our experienced consultants will brief you in detail regarding Mauritius, the advantages of obtaining a global business license or setting up an authorised company, as well as the eligibility criteria for obtaining the licenses. We will act as an intermediary between you, the Management Companies and the FSC as you go through the initial stages of setting up a business here.
- While applying for the global business license in Mauritius, you will need to carefully consider the substance requirements concerning local directors, registered offices and the various AMLR requirements. TBI can assist with finding the requisite qualified professionals for your particular business to obtain any business permits and trading licences. Setting up a company in Mauritius and opening a bank account here can almost always be completed without the client coming to Mauritius.
- As you reach the end of the process, TBI can assist with finding you offices, staff, accommodation to live, permits for those moving to Mauritius and any element of the relocation. We will help you get in touch with the best commercial real estate agents and make sure that you find a perfect locality for your company, and perhaps your dream villa on a beach. We can deal with the Economic Development Board, assisting you with your occupation permit and residence permit.
- We also offer assistance in setting up office equipment/ phone lines/ internet/ electricity or any other necessities needed to initiate your business. While setting up your business, we will make sure that your relocation process is smooth and seamless and provide you with everything you need.
How do I register a self employed business in Mauritius?
To register a self-employed business in Mauritius, a non-citizen must be registered with the Registrar of Businesses under the Business Registration Act or operate as a one-person company. To be eligible for the self-employed permit, an initial investment of USD 35,000 or its equivalent in foreign currency is required, along with a certified bank statement and a written commitment to transfer the funds to a Mauritian bank account within 60 days of the issuance of the Occupation Permit.
Why choose TBI Mauritius?
If you want to set up your company in Mauritius, TBI Mauritius offers you an unparalleled quality of service to build a strong foundation for your business in Mauritius. We put our clients first and ensure that all the business procedures and legalities are carefully met in a well-organised and professional manner.
Please get in touch to find out more.