Foreigners can get a Mauritius residence permit by retiring as a 50-year-old, investing USD 375,000, working as a professional or as a dependent. Retirees can meet the residence permit requirements by being at least 50, with a monthly income of USD 1,500 or a bank account holding USD 18,000. One can also qualify for the residency requirements by buying a property of at least USD 375,000 in an approved scheme. Alternatively, by investing at least USD 375,000 in a business, investors can get a Mauritius residence permit. Foreign professionals can also meet the residency requirements through an occupation permit. Lastly, dependents of a residence permit or occupation permit holder can get a Mauritius residence permit.
Run by British lawyers, TBI Mauritius is an immigration expert and relocation advisor in Mauritius. With over 13 years of experience in the relocation industry, we specialise in relocation services, helping foreigners move to Mauritius and settle here. We offer guidance and advice to those considering moving here alone or with their family, making sure that Mauritius is the right fit. Whether you are looking to get a Mauritius residence permit through retirement, investment, or employment, our services are tailored to your specific needs.
Mauritius Residency Pathways
Moving to Mauritius: Relocation Services
When moving to Mauritius, choose from the following to qualify for the residency requirements: Mauritius Residence Permit, Mauritius Occupation Permit, Mauritius Permanent Residence Permit or Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa.
Mauritius Residency by Investment
The Mauritius residence permit requirements include investing at least USD 375,000 in an approved property scheme or business activity. This investment eventually leads to Mauritius permanent residence.
Mauritius Residency By Occupation
Foreign investors can qualify for the Mauritius residency requirements by applying for a Mauritius Occupation permit. The Occupation permit is a combined occupation and residence permit, valid for 10 years.
Mauritius Residency By Retirement
The Mauritius residency requirements for retirees include being at least 50 years and having USD 18, 000 in a local bank account or a minimum monthly income of USD 1, 500.
Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa
With at least USD 1,500 monthly, you can qualify for the Mauritius residency requirements. The Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa is a long-term visa valid for up to a year and is renewable.
Mauritius Citizenship Requirements
While getting Mauritius citizenship can be challenging, there are several pathways available, including citizenship by naturalisation, marriage, adoption, and descent.
Mauritius Residence Permit: Pathway to Permanent Residence
The Permanent Residence Permit is a 20-year permit allowing foreigners to live in Mauritius with their family, subject to satisfying the necessary criteria. Foreign retirees, working professionals, and investors can qualify for the permanent residence requirements after living in Mauritius for at least 3 years. An Occupation Permit holder applying for a Permanent Residence Permit will then have the right to live and work in Mauritius for 20 years. Alternatively, the quicker way to Mauritius permanent residence is buying a property of at least USD 375,000 in an approved scheme. This will get the foreigner a residence permit, valid as long as they own the property.
Mauritius Residence Permit For Retirees
- Retirees can get a Mauritius residence permit by showing a monthly income of USD 1,500 or a bank account holding USD 18,000.
- To qualify for the permanent residence permit as a retiree, you need to have transferred at least USD 54,000 during the 3 years preceding the application.
Residency Requirements For Professionals
- Qualify for the residency requirements by working for a Mauritian company and having at least MUR 30,000 as salary
- To get a permanent residence permit as a professional, you need to have received a monthly salary of at least MUR 150,000 for 3 years before applying.
Residency Requirements For Investors
- To qualify for the residency requirements as an investor, make an initial investment of USD 50,000.
- Qualify for the permanent residence permit by generating a gross annual income of at least MUR 15 million for the 3 years preceding the application.
Residency Requirements For Self-Employed Foreigners
- Operate as a one-person company and make an initial investment of USD 35,000 to meet the residency requirements.
- To qualify for the permanent residence permit, generate an annual business income of at least MUR 3 million for 3 consecutive years before the application.
Invest in a Mauritian business
- Invest a minimum of USD 375,000 in a business activity and obtain a 20-year permanent residence permit.
- Business activities include can include but are not limited to: banking, construction, education, financial services, information technology, insurance, manufacturing.
Residence permit through property
- Get a residence permit in Mauritius by buying a property of at least USD 375,000 in a government-approved scheme.
- You can then live in Mauritius permanently as long as you own the property.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to get a residence permit in Mauritius?
To get a Mauritius residence permit, consider any one of the residency requirements:
- Foreigners above 50 can apply for a Residence Permit as a retiree
- Working professionals on an Occupation permit having at least MUR 30,000 as salary
- Investors on an Occupation Permit who can invest USD 50,000
- Self-employed professionals on an Occupation permit who can invest USD 35,000
- Investors who buy any approved property of at least USD 375,000
- Investors who invest at least USD 375,000 in a business activity
CAN I LIVE PERMANENTLY IN MAURITIUS?
You can live permanently in Mauritius by buying a property of at least USD 375,000 in an approved scheme.
WHAT QUALIFIES AS A PERMANENT RESIDENCE?
A permanent resident in Mauritius refers to a non-citizen on a 20-year Permanent Residence Permit. Permanent residence in Mauritius allows a foreigner to live and work in the country. The following are eligible for a Permanent Residence Permit in Mauritius:
- A retiree who has transferred at least USD 54,000 during the 3 years preceding the application.
- A working professional, whose monthly salary is at least Rs 150,000 for the 3 years preceding the application.
- An investor whose company has generated a gross annual income of at least MUR 15 million for the 3 years preceding the application.
- A self-employed individual whose annual business income is at least MUR 3 million for 3 years before the application.
- An investor who has invested at least USD 375,000 in a Mauritian business activity.
How long does it take to get permanent residency in Mauritius?
It takes at least 3 years to get a Mauritius permanent residence permit, as a retiree, investor and professional. The quicker way to get permanent residency in Mauritius is to buy a property of at least USD 375,000 in an approved scheme.
How can I become a resident of Mauritius?
You can become a resident of Mauritius by investing at least USD 375,000 in an approved property-scheme or business activity. Alternatively, you can retire in Mauritius by ensuring a minimum monthly income of USD 1,500.
How much to invest in Mauritius to get residency?
You will need to invest at least USD 375,000 in a property or business to get residency in Mauritius.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PR IN MAURITIUS?
Permanent Residence (PR) in Mauritius offers numerous advantages, including long-term stay rights for 20 years, the ability to work and engage in business, access to healthcare and education facilities, and enjoying a favorable tax regime.
What TBI Business Advisors can do for you:
- We will have a Zoom/ Teams call or email exchange to understand your requirements.
- TBI will advise on the appropriate permit or visa for coming to Mauritius.
- We will send a detailed proposal with clear costs, timeframes and explanations.
- We will assemble the documents and make the application on your behalf.
- TBI can assist with relocation tasks such as helping with schools, accommodation, insurance, choosing locations.
- We can assist with the finding and purchasing of property, and setting up of an entity to purchase through.
- If you need assistance with setting up companies whether as an investor or just creating a business here.
- The directors can act as Commissioner for Oaths.
- We can assist with other business advice and can bring in law firms as and when required.