With foreigners from over 85 countries holding a Premium Visa Mauritius, this Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa has been gaining momentum since its introduction. As of 27 September 2022, Mauritius has already approved more than 2000 applications for the Premium Visa Mauritius with a significant number of foreigners applying for a Premium Visa renewal. This confirms the statistics of KAYAK’s Work From Wherever Index which ranked Mauritius as the fourth best place for remote working, globally.
What is a Premium visa in Mauritius?
The Mauritius Premium Visa is a type of remote work visa for Mauritius. This Premium Visa in Mauritius allows someone to stay in the country for up to a year whether they just work remotely, relax and take a sabbatical, or spend some of their retirement here. Click here to learn about the cost of living in Mauritius. Throughout this period, holders of a Premium Visa Mauritius can leave and come back to the country as much as they want to. You can then apply for a Mauritius Premium Visa renewal for a further year.
The Premium Visa Mauritius is unlike the other visas that Mauritius offers, namely: Tourist Visa, Business Visa and Medical Visa. Currently a tourist can stay in Mauritius for 3-6 months depending on where they are from and there are many limitations in what they can do here.
Who is it for?
This Premium Visa Mauritius is for travelers, digital nomads, retirees and other professionals who intend to stay in Mauritius for a period exceeding 180 days in a calendar year.
At the moment, citizens from 114 countries are eligible for the Premium Visa Mauritius. However, the Economic Development Board advises foreign nationals from other countries to apply for a Tourist Visa and then for the Premium Visa Mauritius during their stay. Originally designed to attract remote workers, the Premium Visa Mauritius is also available to:
- Tourists who had planned to retire and immigrate to Mauritius before the COVID-19 pandemic
- Investors and professionals who wish to come with their family and work remotely from Mauritius.
- Visitors who have children studying in Mauritius
How do i get a premium visa?
The Mauritius Premium Visa requirements are:
- Proof of long stay accommodation
- Return flight tickets
- Sufficient travel and health insurance
- A minimum monthly income of $1500 (extra is required for child dependents)
At the same time, the following Mauritius Premium Visa Requirements must be met:
- Applicants must not enter the Mauritius Labour Market
- The main place of business and/or source of income and profits should be outside of Mauritius
- Have documentary evidence to support the application (purpose of visit, accommodation)
Mauritius Premium Visa Cost
The Premium Visa Mauritius is a free of charge visa with no processing fees from the Mauritian authorities.
taxation rules for a Premium Visa in Mauritius
Holders of the Premium Visa Mauritius who bring foreign money in an account in Mauritius are not required to pay taxes for up to 6 months. However, after 183 days in the country, they are considered as a tax resident and the money remitted to Mauritius will be taxable. It is recommended that you seek independent tax advice.
Mauritius Premium Visa Processing Time
The Mauritius Premium Visa application used to take around 48 hours, from submission to approval, but now it can take up to several weeks. The Premium Visa application process is online, however, the whole process, from submitting the right documents to finding the right location to move to, can be daunting to foreign citizens. Whether you want to come for a few months to test the waters or move here for 1 year as a digital nomad, TBI can assist with finding the plan that best suits your needs.
Here’s how we can help you move to mauritius:
- We will have a Zoom/ Teams call or email exchange to understand your requirements.
- We will send a detailed proposal with clear costs, timeframes and explanations.
- TBI will advise on the appropriate permit or visa for coming to Mauritius.
- We can assist with the finding and purchasing of property, and setting up of an entity to purchase through.
- We will assemble the documents and make the application on your behalf.
- If you need assistance with setting up companies whether as an investor or just creating a business here.
- We can assist with relocation tasks such as helping with schools, accommodation, insurance, choosing locations.
- The directors can act as Commissioner for Oaths.
- We can assist with other business advice and can bring in law firms as and when required.